SJMA promotes responsible care of natural and cultural resources through
education and hands-on involvement that inspires respect and reverence
for our lands.
The San Juan Mountains Association is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) corporation
located in Durango, Colorado. We provide the most complete and personalized
information source for public lands in Southwest Colorado. Our dedicated
staff and volunteers will help you with all your questions on camping,
backpacking, mountain biking and experiencing the beauty of our corner
of the state.
Enhance your experience by volunteering to monitor an archaeological
site, build a trail or educate others. Participate in a workshop, naturalist
hike or class. Fall in love with the Southwest Colorado landscape all
SJMA by becoming a member
SJMA was created in 1988 to assist the San Juan National Forest in providing
education and interpretation of public lands in Southwest Colorado. SJMA
has a participating agreement with the San Juan National Forest and the
Bureau of Land Management San Juan Field Office to develop educational
programs, publications and volunteer projects, as well as provide interpretive
services. Click here to see an ongoing list of our projects in stewardship,
education and interpretation.
SJMA Awards, Grants and Recognition History
Key Priorities 2011-2016 ...
We commit to the following priorities:
- Educating our volunteers, our partners and the public, with a renewed
focus on youth.
- Connecting people ~ including the public, land managers and our volunteers
~ to each other and to our natural and cultural resources.
- Inspiring respect for our ideals among our partners, the public and
- Strengthening our image and visibility in the community, our membership,
volunteer groups, and the partnerships that contribute to meeting our
- Supporting our volunteers, staff and partners by providing opportunities
for growth and creativity.
- Diversifying funding sources by identifying and pursuing new opportunities.
In pursuit of our mission, the Board, Staff and Volunteers of SJMA commit
to embracing these organizational values:
- Promote a Strong Land Ethic: We instill in people an appreciation
for the integrity of the land and how their actions impact the ecosystem.
- Connect People to the Land: We provide opportunities for personal
experience and enjoyment in our natural surroundings.
- Respect People and Ideas: We support responsible behavior, and by
being fair-minded, we seek a balance among differing land-use interests.
- Care for Heritage Resources: We foster protection of the region’s
irreplaceable cultural treasures.
- Inspire Enthusiasm and Commitment in Our Supporters: We build passion
for SJMA’s goals and ideals through positive interaction with the
- Educate through Involvement: We teach volunteers and other supporters
through hands-on participation.
We commit to building an organization widely recognized for conservation
education and sustainability programs by:
- Providing a broad range of rich and enjoyable programs
- Inspiring people to work together to respect and enjoy the land.
- Treating staff and supporters with respect and decency while nurturing